[mythtv-users] Comments on backent replacment

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:07:28 UTC 2007

I'm thinking about replacing my current athlon 1.2ghz back end system
with a server I found on craigslist.  Here's my idea, tell me what you
think.

The server is a proliant 6400, quad xeon 500Mhz with 4 gigs of ram and
four hard drives of unknown size in a raid 5.  Will it even be worth
jumping to a quad cpu machine with procs more than half the speed of
the backend I'm replacing?  I suppose it will help with comflagging
and transcoding, but then what about storage?

Since the server doesn't support IDE, I need to use my current backend
(or another machine I have laying around) to hold my pair of 250gb
drives and act as a nas.  I'm worried that with the slower cpu's and
accessing the recorded shows over nfs that I'll have a bad IO
bottleneck.

So what I'm wondering is, will this be an upgrade, or will I be hurting my self?

--
Regards,
Bill Omer