[mythtv-users] Deinterlace stopped working in latest SVN trunk

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu May 31 16:55:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:47:19AM -0700, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:
> NBC affiliate and not NBC in general.  You're in the SF Bay Area, right?
> They (KNTV) switched to a more advanced encoder a year ago:

> >From the second message:
>
> > The encoder decides by itself what the content is.
> > If it's telecined 24 fps film (a movie or prime-time
> > sitcom), the encoder will detect the repeated fields
> > and instead of encoding them, it just signals the
> > repeated field with one bit, repeat_first_field = 1.
>
> Another characteristic of these recordings is that the length as
> reported by MythTV is quite a bit off (~50 minutes for a 1-hr
> program).

Yes, that's often true.   However, whatever they are doing,
Myth should not be detecting these as progressive frames and
disabling deinterlace -- it's very clear visually that this is
the wrong action, as what I see is tons of interlacing combs
when watching these programs.   It is interesting that I see
it most on a movie, moderately on what may have been a filmed
TV show (Heroes) but not on a live-video show (Saturday Night
Live) which is presumably shot with live 1080i cameras.

I guess I will try to extract a suitable clip from the movie
and get around to a Myth bug report.   Tastes vary, of course, but
it turns out right now NBC is providing most of the HD I want
to watch (Office, SNL, Heroes) and the others aren't.  Too bad
because of course since my TV is 720p I would much rather record
the 720p signals of fox and abc, though abc does most of the HD
movies.