[mythtv-users] master backend on nslu2 ?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed May 30 22:27:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 14:54 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Jacob Yeh wrote:
>
> > I will let you all know how it turns out but Guillame, it certainly is
> > NOT a bad idea (in my opinion) to use the NSLU2 as a cheap,
> > low-power-consuming, quiet machine as a tuner-less MythTV master backend
> > machine.
>
> Perhaps. The main problem with the slug (AKA NSLU2) is that it is
> relatively slow, as is its access to attached USB hard drives.

Who said who have to use those?  That's what NFS is for... if you've got
centralized storage (or are using multiple storage directories - one for
each slave backend...)

Actually, when I think about it, it's actually a pretty good idea - the
slave backends would be pretty dumb - just boxes with tuners - the slug
would be the "conductor", you'd have large, redundant storage... the
only thing would be that I'd want the db on a pretty sturdy box... if
the slug could handle mysql effectively the way that myth uses it, I
don't see why it shouldn't work...

Of course, it would be *lovely* if myth worked with replicated DBs... ;)
But I have no patches to contribute on this!

	-I