[mythtv-users] MythWeather-Revamp: Is it even partially working?

EJS ejshoor at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 21:31:51 UTC 2007

> On 5/20/07, Douglas Wagner <douglasw0[at]gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 5/20/07, Rich West <Rich.West[at]wesmo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Douglas Wagner wrote:
> > >

> > > On 5/20/07, * Douglas Wagner* <douglasw0[at]gmail.com
> > > <mailto:douglasw0[at]gmail.com>> wrote:
<snip>

> > > To fix, I went into each of the scripts and added:
> > >
> > > use lib "/usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts";
> > >
> > > Following this entering mythfrontend and going back into the
> > > sources setup worked perfectly...all the scripts were able to be
> > > added to the "Active" area.
> > >
> > > From there I obtained the information below on each scripts
> > > execution parameters.
> > >
> > > The problem right now is that MythTV simply will not store any
> > > information in the locations required by the application. Once
> > > everything is setup I can see in the frontend log where it tries
> > > to run every PL script, and when those PL scripts are run from the
> >
> > > command line I can see every one of them return something proper
> > > (tho one of them only returns to std out, it does not write to the
> > > directories you specify) not a single one of them puts data into a

<snip>

> --Douglas Wagner
Doug,

I think I may have a solution to your problem. I ran into almost exactly the same problem you are describing. The perl scripts seemed to work perfectly from the command line but none of the screens would display except the "Current Forecast".

Are you running the mythfrontend process as suid root by any chance?  This was the issue for me. The suid to root was causing perl to run in taint mode. This in turn was causing all of the file I/O to error off silently. You can test this by passing the -T when you run the perl scripts from the command line.  I wrote some quick and dirty code to untaint all the relevant variables and it all seems to work well now.  I'd be happy to post the updated scripts if you like.

Thanks,

BTW - I ran into the use lib problem as well. I fixed it by dumping the PMs in the standard perl library locations, but I never understood why everyone else wasnt having the same problem.