[mythtv-users] Looking for trancoding suggestions

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:16:36 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:

> > The best solution I can think of is to just put a bigger hard drive in
> > the enclosure. 500GB drives are under $150 these days, and how much
> > video do you really need to store? That's close to 250 hours at full DVD
> > rate for SD.
> >
> > It's the old "time vs. money" equation I suppose.
> >

> I generally agree with this logic, but running a script to do the
> transcoding and letting it run isn't really a time issue. Either way,
> I'm still interested in what settings/options others have used with
> success to create good quality videos while gaining significant disk
> space.

Unfortunately, saving space while preserving quality pretty much means
moving to an MPEG-4 or similar format. This won't work so well with
the MediaMVP, but there's no requirement to get rid of your original
MPEG-2s after they've been transcoded.

Brian's right. Storage is dirt cheap and getting cheaper. Either get a
huge drive for your travel player, or get a largish drive for the
travel player and transcode to Xvid for it while keeping the originals
for the MediaMVP.