[mythtv-users] Crude sleep timer for frontend

Bradley Goss brad.8055 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 08:29:19 UTC 2007

I am trying to implement a sleep timer function for my combined mythtv
frontend/backend.  I have created menu entries for mythfrontend as follows:

<button>
<type>SLEEP_35</type>
<text>Sleep 35 m</text>
<action>EXEC sudo shutdown -h +35</action>
</button>

The problem is mythfrontend stops responding after the command executes, the
shutdown command does however correctly execute (ie the PC shuts down after
the specified time period).  Running the shutdown command from a terminal
window works correctly and allows me to continue using mythfrontend.

Trying sudo shutdown -h -q +5 or sudo shutdown -h +5 does not make any
difference.

Any ideas?  eg do I need to background this or write a script instead of
using shutdown directly?

Also, any ideas how to pop up a warning that the system will shut down when
there is 1 minute to go?