[mythtv-users] Confused on how to use channels.conf

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat May 26 16:44:17 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 00:34 -0700, Calin Brabandt wrote:
> > If you import a good channels.conf file,
> > you should not need to then scan for channels -
> > this is the purpose of importing the
> > dvb)scan-generated channels.conf file in the
> > first place.
> > --
> > Nick
>
> Nick, I've not imported channels.conf in a long while,
> but Myth's scan wasn't finding my the KOPB QAM
> channels
> here in Portland, OR so I imported a snippet of those
> channels from a channels.conf I'd made long ago using
> dvb tools.  Strangely, it's like Michelle said --
> Myth scanned the channels on the mux.  I have "fixes
> 4." I know Myth didn't behave like this a year ago
> when I made the channels.conf file.

The scan is new, basically MythTV is verifying the data
you input and adding the data it need to collect EIT (which
isn't in the DVB tools channels.conf. If MythTV can't tune
to the channel during the scan it won't be able to for a
recording or LiveTV either.

In the channelscan branch I'm working on making the
infrastructure changes that will allow us to ask the
user whether to insert channels that MythTV can't find
but are in your channels.conf. Right now the channels
are inserted by the scanner during the scan which has
a bunch of unfortunate ramifications.

-- Daniel