[mythtv-users] FC6 "lirc dead but subsys locked"

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri May 25 15:54:43 UTC 2007

Tye Newman wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am new to all this.
>
> I have install FC6 using the Myth(TV)ology.  Things are working great except for lirc.  I have a PVR-150 with the new grey and black remote.  When I first set up the system I installed lirc and tested it using irw.  It worked great.  I even setup the mythtv keys and was able to navigate MythTV with the remote.
>
> Without change anything I rebooted the system and the remote quite working.  I checked the status of the lircd and it stated that "lirc dead but subsys locked".
>
> What happened!?  I have been reading every post on this list and about a million google searches to no avail.
>
> I noticed that the /dev/lirc0 does not exsist either (don't know if that matters).  It never occurred to me to check the /dev list when things were working.

The lockfile is in (from memory) /var/lock/subsys (on Fedora). You can
'rm' the file to clear that problem.

A quicker method is to run 'service lircd restart' from a command line.
You will probably have to do that as root.

But that does not address the reason for the error.

Firstly, make sure that the lirc lines in modprobe.conf are the FIRST
lines in the file.  This makes lirc available to the hardware being
installed by the later commands.

Secondly make sure that you have the proper lines in /etc/udev/rules to
create /dev/lirc and make it available to all users. (You may have a
permissions problem otherwise).

Finally, make sure that you call the correct hardware point (/dev/lirc
in your case, it seems) or that you create a proper symlink by adding a
line 'ln -s /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc' to rc.local or by doing the same thing
within udev rules. Jarod Wilson's guide covers this. The lirc
documentation is a little obscure on these sorts of points.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury

        Helping with the HTTP issue