[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend on EPIA pc?

David Shay david at shay.net
Fri May 25 04:58:38 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Søren Dalsgaard <soren at dalsgaards.dk> wrote:
> I was thinking of getting one of these:
>
> http://www.syd-data.dk/product_info.php/cPath/266_305/products_id/3315
>
> EPIA-EN15000G / EPIA-EN12000EG
>
> Does anyone have any experiences with this one? My current frontend runs gentoo and is a bit noisy. I guess the transition to epios would not be that big as it is gentoo based but with all (?) the right drivers for epia boards.

Yes.  I have the EN12000EG running with Gentoo and the Openchrome
drivers.  Beware that this does not support accelerated MPEG-2
decoding above 1024x1024, so if you had delusions of this being a good
HDTV frontend, it's not.  The EN12000EG works fine as a nice quiet
fanless box, otherwise. (I actually have it working as a backend too,
with a PVR-150 in it).

> I use my frontend for watching mpeg2 recordings and divx movies and listening to mp3. No mythgame is currently installed but that is on my todo - any comments on which pitfalls I might want to avoid?

Mythgame works too, as long as you are limiting it to the older games.
 DivX will not be accelerated, so you will be relying on raw CPU
power, of which these are fairly limited, obviously.  Should still be
OK for non-hi-def stuff, though.
No need to go with epios, just use standard gentoo, then follow the
directions on the openchrome site for getting the latest drm and
latest svn version of the openchrome driver.  That should get you
going nicely.
I'm using the VGA output, so can't comment on the S-Video out and any
potential VT1625 issues.  There is support for it in openchrome, and
some other patches floating around as well.  See here:

http://billionmonkeys.net/openchrome/