[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend on EPIA pc?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu May 24 22:26:20 UTC 2007

Søren Dalsgaard wrote:
> I was thinking of getting one of these:
>
> http://www.syd-data.dk/product_info.php/cPath/266_305/products_id/3315
>
> EPIA-EN15000G / EPIA-EN12000EG
>
> Does anyone have any experiences with this one? My current frontend runs
> gentoo and is a bit noisy. I guess the transition to epios would not be
> that
> big as it is gentoo based but with all (?) the right drivers for epia
> boards.
>
> I use my frontend for watching mpeg2 recordings and divx movies and
> listening to mp3. No mythgame is currently installed but that is on my todo
> - any comments on which pitfalls I might want to avoid?
>
> Thanks,
> Søren

I have no experience with this board. I have an Sp13000. One thing I
noticed in looking at the specs for the EN series is that the Output
Resolution is low: Supported Resolution  	1600 x 1200 Maximum (VGA)
1024 x 768 Maximum (LVDS/TTL)

The board has a VT1625 tv-out encoder chip, but a) I don't think the
resolution of that has been published, and b) more importantly, the
openchrome guys do not yet have the VT1625 chips entirely figured out yet.

OTOH, the EX series has a higher output resolution (cannot find a
reference quickly but ISTR 1920 by 1200 on VGA...same problem with the
tv-out encoder chip. Both the EX and EN series run variants of the
CX700M chipset about which Via says very little in the way of actual
technical specs.

And at least one of the Nano sized boards has the same chipset..but you
will need a mini-pci to pci adapter for the usual tuners...but ISTR that
one of the Nano boards has 2 LAN jacks, so an HDHomeRun would work
nicely. (Presuming that the board otherwise meets requirements and you
do not need a PCI based tuner plug into it!)

All have really low power requirements. My SP13000 runs 37 watts in use
(no DVD playing).

Geoff

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury