[mythtv-users] new via mobo looks *perfect* for low power frontend

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:59:32 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24/05/07, Adam Hirsch <mythtv at quakerporn.com> wrote:
> >
> http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/via_introduces.php
> >
> > Adam
>
> It's just driver support that determines whether it'll be any use or not.
> Some of the newer Via mini-itx boards still arn't fully supported...

There are a lot of SD frontend options for low power Myth playback,
like the MediaMVP.

If you're looking for HD playback, be careful with VIA chipsets..
Relatively few of their Unichrome chipsets can actually support HD
MPEG decoding.  I made the mistake of buying a "Unichrome Pro" based
board, only to find out later that it was limited to 1024x1024 MPEG
decoding.   Even if they state HD support on the specs (like the one I
bought), that doesn't necessarily apply to the MPEG decoder.

http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HardwareCaveats