[mythtv-users] Transcoding files

Darryl Merritt mythtv at djm.dbme.net.au
Tue May 22 23:25:54 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Everytime I think of a good idea, someone has already done it.. so I'll
ask here first.

Is there a script or application that will monitor the jobqueue and start
transcoding jobs on a host that is not running as a mythbackend or
frontend?

I have a Centos V5 server with lots of disk space, plenty of CPU grunt and
the MySQL database, but no capture cards and so no mythbackend. (The
default Centos build doesnt have DVB support enabled.)

I have 2 backends doing all the recording and saving the files to the
server via NFS mounts.

I would like the transcoding jobs to run on the server as it sits idle
most of the time rather than have the backends trying to cope with up to 3
active recordings on the go as well as trying to do the transcoding. I
also reason that the server would be quicker to transcode as the files are
on the local disks and can access them at SATA2 speed rather than Ethernet
speed.

I can set up a cron job to run every minute, but need something to monitor
the job queue and kick off the transcoding jobs.

The other thing I would like to do is to record to the local disk on each
of the backends and then transcode the recording afterwards from the local
disk to the server, so if the network glitches at anytime, the recording
is still on the local disk and not lost. Is this possible ?

Cheers,
Darryl

--- This message has been scanned and is believed to be clean ---