[mythtv-users] Software RAID and ionice

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Tue May 22 22:11:32 UTC 2007

Is anybody using mythtv with software RAID and ionice?  I used to have a
lot of problems with IOBOUND errors and frame dropping, until I
discovered ionice and used it to prioritize mythbackend.  That fixed the
problem - until I migrated my video directory to a RAID.  It seems like
the RAID device ignores ionice settings.

I noticed that there is no equivalent to /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
for dm or md devices.  I can set CFQ on the underlying hard drives, but
I'm guessing those drivers just see a single md#_raid5 kernel process
accessing data, so there is no prioritization.

Anybody else having issues with IO priority with software RAID?  I
figured it would be relatively common on this list...