[mythtv-users] deinterlacing and non-smooth playback at 1080i

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Tue May 22 18:52:02 UTC 2007

On 22/05/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 22/05/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 5/22/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So is there anyway at all to get 1080i videoo, not deinterlaced, over
> > > 1080i DVI connection (at thus HDMI presumably). I wonder whether the
> > opengl
> > > video output of the mythtv-vid branch might work around the problem?
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Well both xv and opengl work for me. The trouble with xvideo is that I
> > have to turn off xvideo sync to vblank - otherwise it locks up - but
> > this introduces some fairly ugly tearing. Opengl output works well but
> > needs a beefier gpu.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Mark
>

> When you say 'beefier gpu' what kinda performance card are we talking
> about. Would a NVidia 7600 do, or the new Intel GMA X3000. Some new intel
> boards are gonna be coming out with integrated hdmi out (powered by an intel
> gpu, acclaiming DirectX 10 compatability (not that I care about that, just
> the performance)). Don't know whether it is just a modified X3000, or
> actually a new chip altogether. It's the 'bearlake' chipset (review of one
> of the non hdmi boards here:
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/22/intels-p35-bearlake-chipset-gets-benchmarked-reviewed/
> ).
>
> Hopefully the boards will have good linux support, including the graphics,
> which means that 1080i over 1080i DVI/HDMI will actually be possible, and if
> the gpu is powerful enough full opengl playback may be possible.

Just to add to my email above, for example is there a card available that
could handle 1080i with BOB deinterlacing using the opengl renderer. Also,
what limits do you think a 7600GT could handle (resolution, deinterlacing
methods). If yu don't know no problems, just you are the first person I know
who's actually used it.

Also, using the opengl renderer (which I like the look of). Is is possible
to playback (ignoring current performance limitations) interlaced material
over an interlaced connection properly (e.g. 1080i on 1080i), is it actually
capable of syncing to the right phase (i.e. even w/ even, and odd w/ odd)?

Sorry for all the questions, just I'm deeply interested in the opengl
rendering (the benefits look good, and not many negatives apart from card
requirements).

Thanks in advance, James