[mythtv-users] Analyzing why Myth didn't record Office season finale

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 22 16:06:07 UTC 2007

On 05/22/2007 12:02 PM, Al B. wrote:
> > The problem is the "Find one weekly" setting.  This is why I never
> > use that setting.  The "find one weekly" setting >assumes that the
> > showing you have highlighted is in the time slot for the first
> > showing of new episodes.  And it >thinks that every other showing
> > for the next week is a rerun of the new episode.  The season finale
> > of the Office >started a half hour early.  This half hour placed
> > the finale episode inside the same week as last week's episode.
> > >Last week's episode was already recorded.  So MythTV assumed that
> > this was simply a rerun of last week's >episode and decided not to
> > record.
>

>  Wow, that's not good.  But the explanation makes sense - I forgot
>  that it was a 1/2 hour earlier than normal.  I've always used "Find
>  one Weekly" as I thought it was a better (safer) option than "Record
>  in this timeslot every week."  (that option would have failed too)
>
>  So is the answer to just use one of the "record all" options, and
>  then count on the duplicate policy to avoid recording re-runs??  Is
>  that what you do?  Thanks for the help!

Yep.  Record anytime is your friend.  My Myth box knows that I've seen
all 400 episodes of The Simpsons--because I recorded a lot of them and I
"Never Record"'ed the ones I had already seen.  You just have to go
through the Upcoming Recordings list once every couple of weeks to build
a good database of all the "pre-Myth" shows you watched.

Mike