[mythtv-users] deinterlacing and non-smooth playback at 1080i

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Tue May 22 15:17:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:42:33PM +0100, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I'm using driver version 8776 on that frontend at the moment. I
> think I had problems with interlaced modelines on the newer drivers.

I tried 8776 some time ago but I remember that it had issues with XV
over DVI.  I'm using a DVI cable to connect to my TV.  I tried going
back to 8776 sometime later but found I couldn't get the 8776 driver to
compile with any recent kernel that I had ('recent' meaning 2.6.17 or
greater).  My understanding is that the 8xxx series had perfectly good
interlaced support, but that it broke once the 9xxx series came out.
So, if I want to use DVI, my choice is either use 8xxx and get immediate
lockups when XV is used, or use 9xxx which at least doesn't lockup, but
I can't get 1080i to work properly.  FWIW, I bought a second nvidia card
with composite out.  With the 9xxx and 100.14.xx drivers it exhibited
the same problem as I'm seeing with DVI.  I'm currently using the
100.14.06 driver (which I installed late last night).

> > > Can you post a full log with deinterlacing off, aspect ration set to
> > > Fill, opengl vsync on etc?
> >
> > 1) unpatched from svn trunk r13407
> >    http://sethd.org/myth/fe.log.unpatched
> > 2) patched from svn branch mythtv-vid r13487M
> >    http://sethd.org/myth/fe.log.patched
>
> OK - no scaling, which is good.
>
> Can you think of any reason why the logs are consistently showing
> 24-26fps playback  and not 30fps?

I have no idea.  Does myth (or something else) think I have a PAL
television?  Where would I even begin trying to figure that out?

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Hofstadter's Law: