[mythtv-users] MythWeather-Revamp: Is it even partially working?

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 17:39:16 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> Douglas Wagner wrote:
> >

> > On 5/20/07, * Douglas Wagner* <douglasw0 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:douglasw0 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     OK, so I have quite a bit more information now than I did about 20
> >     minutes ago.
> >
> >     First the problem with all the scripts failing to load into the
> >     active area was due to the fact that the @INC array in perl (I
> >     sound like I know what i'm talking about, I don't) didn't include
> >     /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts and thus none of the
> >     "special" files..the .pm files, could be found by any of the
> >     scripts...the only one that either worked out of the box or didn't
> >     need any .pm file was the Severe weather forcast, which is why
> >     that worked.
> >
> >     To fix, I went into each of the scripts and added:
> >
> >     use lib "/usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts";
> >
> >     Following this entering mythfrontend and going back into the
> >     sources setup worked perfectly...all the scripts were able to be
> >     added to the "Active" area.
> >
> >     From there I obtained the information below on each scripts
> >     execution parameters.
> >
> >     The problem right now is that MythTV simply will not store any
> >     information in the locations required by the application.  Once
> >     everything is setup I can see in the frontend log where it tries
> >     to run every PL script, and when those PL scripts are run from the
> >     command line I can see every one of them return something proper
> >     (tho one of them only returns to std out, it does not write to the
> >     directories you specify) not a single one of them puts data into a
> >     file in the .mythtv/mythweather area when run through Myth.
> >
> >     I'm half tempted right now to setup cron jobs for those PL scripts
> >     I know produce data.  For the ones that don't write files (say the
> >     3 day/6 day forecast script) how do I know what file name MythTV
> >     is looking for?  I could pipe out the information returned by the
> >     script to the proper file if I know what the file names are.
> >
> >     Speaking of cron jobs: does mythtv periodically re-run the weather
> >     data for the revamp code?
> >
> >     --Douglas Wagner
> >
> >     Below is information on execution of each PL script (Western
> >     Suburb of St. Louis is where this data points to specifically)
> >
> >     nwsxml.pl - Current Conditions - **Does not Write to the proper
> >     file.**
> >     ----------------------
> >     /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts/nwsxml.pl -u ENG -d
> >     /home/mythtv/.mythtv/MythWeather/NWS-XML KSUS
> >
> >     nws-alert.pl - Severe Weather Alerts - Properly Writes to File
> >     from Command Line Execution
> >     ----------------------
> >     /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts/nws-alert.pl -u ENG -d
> >     /home/mythtv/.mythtv/MythWeather/NWS-Alerts 29183
> >
> >     maps.pl - Static Maps - Properly Writes to File from Command Line
> >     Execution
> >     ----------------------
> >     /usr/share/mythtv/mythweather/scripts/maps.pl -u ENG -d
> >     /home/mythtv/.mythtv/MythWeather/Map-Download
> [...]

Apologies for the top posting, I use Google Mail and since it thread tracks
all the incomming messages, it actually makes more sense for google mail
users to top post than bottom post...never even occured to me the problem
with that.  I'll be more careful in the future. :)

The weather.com script I can't seem to get recognized through Myth.

Well, to be exact, myth says it recognizes/found the script. It's not
complaining about any problems in the running of them, but I never see an
execution line for the weathercomXML.pl script either.

When run from the command line it returns data, but I can't seem to get myth
to actually use anything it returns.  I also can't understand how the return
data from the weathercomXML.pl script actually gets populated into the
weather-ui.xml mapping...I get that the other weather scripts are working
because myth is reading the cache files from disk, and I understand that
it's SUPPOSED to be taking the print to STD Out and working with it, but as
I state above and below, I don't think my install is handling the streamed
data.  This is probably something very basic with my installation.  As I
state above, i'm having to use a cron job to execute the various scripts to
get myth weather data down into the archive files so that mythweather will
even read anything.

An example of the problem: Lets say I add a new animated map.  Go into the
new settings add a map, set the location, exit settings and save, go to
mythweather and all of myth dies on me with a Floating Point Exception.  If
I check the cache on disk the map doesn't exist.  However, if I find in
myth's output the attempt to execute the map retrieval, and yes it has both
executed the retrieval of the new map and says it finished, and run that PL
script again from the command line, viola, everything is fine in mythweather
and the map comes up.

As I said there's something very basically wrong in my installation
somewhere i'm guessing since I assume you and everyone else running
mythweather-revamp are getting your data filled in without having to setup
cron jobs.

I also assume your 3/6 day forcast data is being properly displayed...which
mine simply is not...the page for 18 hour, 3 day and 6 day won't even come
up (not that it comes up blank or errors, the system hangs on the prior
pages and then displays the next page after the 18/3/6 pages).

So, i'll take your advice and run frontend through verbose logging and see
what I come up with.  More later.

--Douglas Wagner