[mythtv-users] newbie question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 20 13:55:27 UTC 2007

David Cream wrote:
> If I install MythTV with a PVR card, can I use my TV as a monitor, or do I need a monitor too?

If your computer's video card can drive your TV outside of Myth you
could probably install and get going without a "computer-type monitor",
but having one, at least for the initial installation, will make your
life a lot easier.

One of the best rules for installing Myth is to get everything,
including your video output setup, working *outside* of MythTV first.

The "TV Out" of an nVidia-based card can be used for MythTV, as long as
you're not trying to do HD, provided you have your X server set up
correctly. This may be possible with ATI cards, I've never had a reason
to try.