[mythtv-users] MythWeather-Revamp: Is it even partially working?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun May 20 04:57:39 UTC 2007

> Ok, so I tried my hand at getting mythweather-revamp working.
>
> If you want to see HOW I got what I got read the here's what I did below.
>
> I've run into several problems.  First all but one of the defined
> plugins/scripts in the setup area currently return "the plugin doesn't
> provide the needed data" or something like that and won't install in the
> active plugins area (the only one that does is NWS-Alerts).
>
> NWS-Alerts does in fact install but when it's run by mythtv it doesn't
> generate it's output into the .mythtv/MythWeather/NWS-Alerts
> directory...nothing appears in there.  If you manually run
> NWS-Alerts.plfrom the scripts directory with the output line that
> MythTV seems to want to
> run that WILL create the output file (you have to be outside of myth and
> execute it from the command line, myth itself (tho it runs a valid
> command)
> will not generate the output correctly, only if it's run from the command
> line).
>
> If however you do generate the output file, mythweather will efffectively
> display it, if you don't mythweather turns up completely blank.
>
> Also: does anyone have documentation on what the command lines should look
> like for each of the scripts?  Since I can't get them to run properly
> through myth (and most of the scripts are being beaten down my myth when
> trying to be moved to the active area) it would be nice to have some
> documentation on what each one is looking for so we could try running them
> from the local command line.
>
> --Douglas Wagner

For documentation on the command line for the scripts, check the README
file in the scripts directory.

Note that the maps and animated maps scripts do NOT take a city name as
the other scripts do (doh!!). I played about with all sorts of names (with
a few grep's thrown in) and found that for here (New Zealand) I had to
enter the country name.

The *ONLY* files that should be executable in the scripts directory are
those that mythweather is going to scan - make sure any files are not
executable. My executable files are:
  animaps.pl
  maps.pl
  ndfd.pl
  ndfd18.pl
  nws-alert.pl
  nwsxml.pl
  weathercomXML.2.pl
The ones starting with a 'n' seem to be USA specific.

Try the script from Simon Flood on svn ticket #3337 - I'm using v0.2 but I
see there is an update (not tried it yet!).

I've found that my frontend box wasn't doing a DNS lookup correctly (adsl
modem dns proxy got lost again) which caused a blank screen - guess I'll
have to adjust the timeouts in the setup or remember to reset the modem
more often.

--
Robin Gilks