[mythtv-users] CATV Going Digital - Was: PVR 150s Cheap

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 20 01:07:45 UTC 2007

Jack Trout wrote:
> Well I probably wont touch the remotes for my use, I used to have 2
> PVR250s and one died, probably over heated. so I was looking for
> replacements, but I also know satellite users can use the componet
> inputs and the ir baster to control thier set top boxes. They use the
> USB MCE type I assume, they dont plug into the cards, they are IR, but I
> have the RF ATI remotes for my front end, and like being able to
> completely hide my MythBox, and not need line of site to control it but
> for replacement tuners to tune and record cable, which will still be
> analog long after they make OTA channels go completely HD

My local cable company keeps telling me that "The FCC is forcing us to
go completely digital".

I believe this is totally wrong. The FCC is mandating OTA to go digital
so the government can auction off the spectrum space that's saved. The
"Public Safety" aspect is a tiny fraction, and is basically a
smokescreen to get public, and congressional, support.

The cable operators want to go digital in order to carry more channels,
and if they can blame any resulting inconvenience to subscribers on the
FCC so much the better, to them.