[mythtv-users] Lirc "pauses" ?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat May 19 20:48:40 UTC 2007

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On 5/19/07, Jon Boehm <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I had this issue.  I worked on it for two days.  My problem turned
>> out to be not myth or lirc, but fading batteries.  When the batteries
>> get week in my remote it starts behaving VERY irrationally.  The
>> first few commands fire out faster than is controllable then is
>> slowly stops working.  It finally dawned on my to try covering up the
>> emitter on the remote to give my frontend a "break" while still
>> holding down the buttons.  Turns out the frontend didn't need a
>> break.  My remote needed new batteries.  :-)
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Jon

>>> ...or LIRC and Myth fighting over resources...
>>>
>>> it's very odd that my FE/BE, which has the exact same remote, doesn't
>>> seem to have the issue.
>
> Interesting.  I'll check mine.  It seems, though, like sometimes some
> commands are buffered at the end of the pause, and execute almost
> batch-like.

I've seen this, but using the keyboard, as well as the remote. You can
do about 6-8 commands which work perfectly then the next one takes at
least a minute. Of course by that time you have banged a few more keys,
so the whole lot get "batched up" and processed at once when the system
eventually responds. Gets confusing when you are trying to scroll
through the program listings.

I noticed (i) I don't get the problem when running a frontend on my main
back end (a pain to get the thing out of it's cupboard for test
purposes) and (ii) it happened reproducibly on a FE run separately fron
the BE; and (iii) it magically went away when I installed a test BE on
my FE to evaluate a different tuner card.

I never associated the problem with LIRC as I got it via the keyboard.
 From my tests above I conjecture it's something to do with the network
traffic (of lack of it) from the FE to the BE. I assume there's more
when you have two backends talking.

Of course we may have two similar problems here with different causes.

Mike Perkins