[mythtv-users] Recompiling existing kernel to change the "HZ" setting? Ubuntu Edgy.

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.org.uk
Fri May 18 22:48:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:15:04PM -0400, William Munson wrote:
> I am trying to change the HZ value on my existing kernel to allow for
> smooth video panning. AFAIK the kernel is stock, ie. downloaded directly
> from the repo. Can I simply install the kernel source and some other as
> of yet unidentified packages to allow me to do a menuconfig and compile
> on top of the existing kernel?

"on top of"? No. But apart from that: yes

IIRC You'll need libncurses-dev to get "make menuconfig" to work.

The "Debian way" is to use kernel-package:
    http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html

[Disclaimer: I use Debian, not Ubuntu.  I suspect they're not different
in this respect]

> I am trying to avoid recompiling all the other modules I had to
>manually compile when setting up the system. Or is it a forgone
>conclusion that I will have to recompile all that junk again with the
>changed kernel even though the version has not changed? A guide would
>be helpful....

You *may* be able to avoid recompiling some modules, but I wouldn't
count on it.  As a rule of thumb: if the .config has changed, this will
affect the kernel image. Any anything that affects the kernel image
could easily (always? not sure) mean having to recompile modules.

On the plus side, you may benefit from module-assistant - this removes
most of the pain you get from using modules that are not in the main
kernel tree.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen