[mythtv-users] optimizing nvidia tv-out for widescreen rear projection tv connected via s-video

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Fri May 18 16:46:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:29:25 +0100
"James Buckley" <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 18/05/07, Daniel Agar <daniel at agar.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > now that I've been using Myth for a while... starting to wonder
> > > if I can get better picture quality, not that it's bad... seems
> > > pretty darned
> > nice
> > > really.. but one just never knows.
<snip>

> > This probably isn't the suggestion your looking for, but you might
> > consider swaping that FX 5200 for one that has dvi on it. I was
> > using an s-video connection on my 37" lcd and the quality
> > difference when I switched to dvi was incredible, completely worth
> > the $40 spent on the card.
> >
> > Other than that I don't see any main changes you could make with
> > your xorg.conf, its about the same as the config I use on another
> > SD frontend. You might consider adjusting the overscan with the
> > nvidia-settings tool which will adjust in real time.
>

> I second this, DVI/HDMI gives awsome pictures, and in some
> circumstances allows one-to-one pixel mapping.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't running a really off xorg.conf or something like that.  One of these days I'll upgrade my BE/FE box.. I've only got one input (PVR-150) at this point..  I have a feeling that eventually the evil cable companies will force me to have a cable box (none yet), which will mean some re-thinking my setup... IR blaster... or what have you.  I'll simply have to upgrade at that point ;-)