[mythtv-users] libmpeg2 and closed caption

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu May 17 18:10:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 09:17 -0700, Dawning Sky wrote:
> I'm using libmpeg2 for TV playing.  But the closed caption on my
> digital recordings doesn't display.  If I use ffmpeg, the closed
> caption shows, but mythfrontend crashes from time to time.  Any
> suggestions?

libmpeg2 doesn't parse out the EIA-708 caption stream for
MythTV. For the crashing in ffmpeg you might want to check
connectors and re-aim your antenna to improve the signal.
Also you can report the bug[s] that cause the crashing. First
try a recent version of ffmpeg and if it crashes create a
small sample of the video which causes the crash and send
the backtrace and a link to the sample to the ffmpeg developer
mailing list. If the problem is confined to MythTV decoding
do the same things with MythTV from SVN head, but report it
in trac (svn.mythtv.org) instead of the developer mailing list.
Segfaults are often the easiest bugs to fix.

> One more thing, the closed caption is displayed fine for recordings
> from PVR-500, even with libmpeg2.
Those are EIA-608 captions...

-- Daniel