[mythtv-users] The PNG Thumbnail generated by Default: Is it used for anything?

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 22:59:41 UTC 2007

Mike:

Not that I really care one way or the other on this (whether they're
generated or not) but your argument stating that so long as it doesn't take
up resources it's not an issue is a bit funny.

So what you're saying is it'd be fine by you if I were to add a piece of
code into myth to generate one file name for each character of every
recorded program?  You know when you get 1301_20070516120000.mpg you
wouldn't mind if I created 23 files on disk, all of course of 0 bytes so it
doesn't take up system resources?  Why would I do that?  *shrug* why not?
By your logic I can right?  Doesn't take up resources so it must not be
hurting anything. :)

I think the point is, if they have no use, and we set the option that we
don't want them, why create them?  They clutter up the video directory, they
make deletes a royal pain in the ass, they make searching for specific files
in the video directory a pain in the ass (thank GOD for color LS that's all
I have to say), they make writing code to sim link files to other places a
COMPLETE pain in the ass, and, did I mention, if they're not being used they
are, by definition, USELESS.

Again, i'm not trying to piss off very helpful people on the discussion
list.  You guys have been great and you, personally Mike, have about 10 quad
zillion messages to this list all with alot of good insight and thought to
them...this isn't intended to be an attack.  It's simply stating that at no
point does "It doesn't hurt anything so it's ok to do" really fly.  I can
buy "It's already there and it's a pain in the ass to take out," and if
that's what you mean then so be it...but if "The point isn't that the
thumbnail images are useful or not useful, the point is that they don't use
enough resources to even allow a person <quietly>with control
issues</quietly> to disable them" really is the point then I think the best
argument for an option to get rid of it is:

Complexity Reduction.

Cause frankly, I've now generated a 15 response thread, taking God knows how
much of everyone's time, to ask the question of whether these files are of
any use or not...when just as easily I could have set the "don't generate
them if you don't want them" option and known without asking that they don't
have a use. :)

--Douglas Wagner