[mythtv-users] lirc woes (no output from mode2)

matt lutz myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:58:53 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, matt lutz <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org > wrote:
> >
> > matt lutz wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I have a
> > serial
> > > receiver that I'm trying to get working with myth.
> > >
> > > It does work on one of my systems with an identical setup, so I don't
> > think
> > > the problem lies with lirc, lirc_serial, or the receiver itself.  The
> > > problem is, I don't see errors anywhere, it just doesn't work.  I'm
> > running
> > > FC6 with kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6.
> > >
> > > Here are the relevant log entries:
> > >
> > > [root at localhost ~]# dmesg | grep ttyS
> > > serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a NS16550A
> > > 00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a NS16550A
> > >
> > > [root at localhost ~]#cat /var/log/messages | grep lirc
> > > May 15 20:05:15 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: no version for
> > "struct_module"
> > > found: kernel tainted.
> > > May 15 20:05:15 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver
> > > registered, at major 61
> > > May 15 20:05:15 localhost kernel: lirc_serial: auto-detected active
> > low
> > > receiver
> > > May 15 20:05:15 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:
> > > sample_rate: 0
> > > May 15 21:19:40 localhost lircd-0.8.2-CVS[3756]: you should specify a
> > valid
> > > gap value
> > > May 15 21:19:40 localhost lircd-0.8.2-CVS[3756]: lircd(userspace)
> > ready
> > > May 15 21:36:04 localhost lircd-0.8.2-CVS[3756]: caught signal
> > >

> > > All of which is almost exactly the same as the working setups.  And
> > yet
> > > mode2 shows nothing on the receiver.  I even went as far as to load XP
> > on
> > > this machine and used WinLirc, which was fine.  Only weird thing was
> > that I
> > > had to use COM2, but with the same IRQ I/O settings.  I assumed that
> > was
> > > because of a built-in modem or something, but maybe it's screwing with
> >
> > > linux?
> > >
> > > The only other oddity is that on my working system , the dmesg | grep
> > ttyS
> > > shows the following:
> > >
> > > 00:0a: ttyS0 at I/0 0x3f8 (irq=4) is a NS16550A
> > >
> > > A bit different, but still nothing that would indicate an error.  Any
> > > suggestions on what I can do to troubleshoot?
> > >

> > 2 things:
> > 1       mode2 only works if lircd is NOT running. Run lsmodf and then
> > 'modprobe -r lirc_your_driver' to make sure that mode2 can grab the
> > hardware to see yo7ur keypresses.
> > 2.       Run mode2 with the -d option to point to the correct hardwarew
> > point
> > in /dev. It is quite possible that mode2 is just looking in the wrong
> > place.  Make a sym-link to /dev/lirc.

> [...]

okay, this problem just went from a pain in the ass to bizarre.  I decided
to use Geoff's suggestions on my working PC.  Everything acted exactly the
same.  However, when I moved the serial receiver back to the non-working PC,
it magically started working.

What I've been able to find out is that *sometimes* when I connect &
reconnect the serial receiver it will work, and sometimes it won't.  Once it
starts working, and I disconnect it, the same thing happens (sometime it
works, sometimes not).

I don't think there's anything wrong with my actual serial port, because it
works every time when Windows is loaded on the exact same computer.
What could cause this to happen?  I don't think it's the IR receiver either
since again, it works every time on windows, as well as other PCs.  Any
suggestions?

thanks,
matt