[mythtv-users] current recommendations for video capture card

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:47:41 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Jim Shank <jim.shank at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't believe no one has recommended the HDHomerun from Silicon Dust for
> the HD portion http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Silicondust_HDHomeRun.
> Dual-tuner HDTV (QAM and ATSC) and it connects to Ethernet to boot so one
> less piece of hardware to have heating up your front end or requiring
> drivers. You can even control it from any PC in the house in case you want
> to watch something on another PC while your Myth box isn't recording. I am
> also doing something a little unusual. The quality of my standard broadcasts
> isn't great so I am using OTA HD signals which are digital and much better
> quality on my standard tv. Takes up more space and I am not really getting
> the full advantage but it's a clear upgrade path to my HDTV.

I have an HDHR and agree that it is very, very good. However, the OP
specifically asked about a card that can do SD in the meantime, until
they are ready to upgrade to HD. The HDHR will not capture any analog
sources.

That said, I will strongly recommend the combination I have been using
to cover all bases: an HDHomerun and a PVR-500. I get a total of 4
tuners (2 digital, 2 analog) that have no issues recording
simultaneously, and can very easily add more if I want to.
-J