[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Media Center team dumping MythTV for Elisa (yuck!)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 16 04:38:29 UTC 2007

On 05/15/2007 10:33 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Well, Myth's video playback "widget" it not exactly something to write
> home to mom about either.  It does not compare to (say) mplayer in it's
> ability to play material of different encodings, well.  Give it certain
> files and while it plays them decent enough for the most part, it sucks
> as seeking in them (yeah, even with seek table) and quite often jumping
> in them ends up in a few seconds of mush until another "full frame"
> comes along to get things back in order.

Sounds like someone needs to fix his MythTV installation.  Seeking in my
recordings with MythTV is /far/ better than seeking in MPlayer or xine.
And, that's with full HDTV played on a remote frontend.

> Personally, I'd give my left nut to get the hell off of X on the
> frontend and on to something far more sane for a PVR FE like DirectFB.
> AFAIK (and please! correct me if I'm wrong), there is not a single video
> card and driver in X that works as well for natively displaying
> interlaced material on interlaced display as the Matrox G{400,450,550}
> cards do on DirectFB.  You just give the card the interlaced material
> and it displays the odd and even lines properly without all this need
> for de-interlacers to compensate for bad tv-out video drivers.

I'd say if anything is dead, it's not MythTV.  It's the idea of using
NTSC (or PAL) for playback.  Projectors, LCD's, Plasma's, DLP's, and
pretty much any new "TV" has /far/ better connection capabilities than
1953's latest and greatest.

Show me DirectFB drivers that handle 1080i and 720p better than the X
drivers and I might be interested.

Mike