[mythtv-users] Defunct Mythbackend

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue May 15 18:44:44 UTC 2007

Matt Rude wrote:
> I have be having this problem fro the last few weeks where after a day
> or so my Mythbackend demon will go defunct and not let me restart the
> demon
>
> /sbin/service mythbackend restart
> fails every time. the system wont even let me reboot when I try the
> system will just sit there like as if I didn't tell it to reboot.
> ps -eaf shows me
> root      3673     1  5 00:41 ?        00:41:27 [mythbackend] <defunct>
>
> anyone have any idea what I can look at.
>

> This is a Fedora Core 6 system with an Nvida 7300
I have the same problem with a newly updated kernel system.  It appears
to happen after an IOBOUND message from the backend.   What is your disk
layout?  Is your /var folder on the same filesystem/drive that your
recordings are occuring on?  How many and what kind of tuners are you
using?  I was able to prevent this by moving my /var partition (mysql
and logging) to a separate drive.  Now I never have this problem.

Kevin