[mythtv-users] Dish receiver

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue May 15 16:22:00 UTC 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Conrad Montlouis wrote:

> I understand that there is a HOWTO out there for Directv receivers
> and I am not sure that it will work for me (unless told otherwise),
> but I am looking for one for my dish receiver that only has a USB
> port on it (no serial).  My questions:
> How can I control my dish receiver from Myth?
> (If it can be controlled) I have an Origen X11 box with IRtrans
> which can supposedly be used to send and receive IR signals; will
> that be enough to control the receiver?
> Can I use a usb to usb cable?
> Any answers/help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

I can't find where I read it, but as far as I know there is no way to
control dish receivers through their USB connection. You'll need an
IR blaster to simulate remote control key presses. Your Origin X11
box includes a VFD and IR receiver (I'm assuming - I have the Zalman
HD-160 box which I believe uses the same IR Trans hardware as yours),
but not an IR transmitter (or "blaster") so you'll need to add one to
your system. Lots of people have good luck with the one from
www.irblaster.info.

There's a howto on configuring lirc for DISHNetwork once you have an
IR blaster here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DISHNetworkLIRCConfiguration

-Brad