[mythtv-users] 'database not open' problem

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:12:46 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, Darren <darrenmarshall at linuxfire.biz> wrote:
><SNIP>
>
> Check to see if mysql is network enabled first. In a console use netstat -l |
> grep mysql to see if it's listening on port 3306. Inspect mysql config
> (usually /etc/my.cnf ) to check the port number it's listening to and while
> your there make sure "skip-networking" is disabled, delete the line or
> #skip-networking then restart mysql.
> You will also need to make sure the remote mythfrontend can find mythconverg
> host, in mythfrontend setup use the ip address of mythconverg host computer
> and a ~/user/.mythtv/mysql.txt file will be created.
>
> goodluck
> Darren

Hi Darren,
   Thanks for the response. It seems that mysql is listening but I see
no evidence that it's listening on port 3306. Most likely this is the
problem but I don't see what's wrong about the setup on the backend
server.

(NOTE: I do have the backend server running more or less correctly at
this point. I can view LiveTV and do recordings on both tuners. Only
KTVU, Channel 2, is not working for some reason in Myth even though
it's working fine at the command line.)

dragonfly ~ # /etc/init.d/mysql stop
 * Stopping mysql ...
 * Stopping mysqld (0)
                    [ ok ]
dragonfly ~ # netstat -l | grep mysql
dragonfly ~ # /etc/init.d/mysql status
 * status:  stopped
dragonfly ~ # /etc/init.d/mysql start
 * Starting mysql ...
 * Starting mysql (/etc/mysql/my.cnf)
                    [ ok ]
dragonfly ~ # netstat -l | grep mysql
tcp        0      0 Dragonfly:mysql         *:*                     LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     104813
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
dragonfly ~ #

   From my.cnf it seems that I have the settings I found on the Gentoo
Wiki and that I think you are talking about:

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
#password                                       = your_password
port                                            = 3306
socket                                          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

# add a section [mysqld-4.1] or [mysqld-5.0] for specific configurations
[mysqld]
character-set-server            = utf8
default-character-set           = utf8
user                                            = mysql
port                                            = 3306
socket                                          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
pid-file                                        = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
log-error                                       = /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err
basedir                                         = /usr
datadir                                         = /var/lib/mysql
skip-locking
key_buffer                                      = 16M
max_allowed_packet                      = 1M
table_cache                             = 64
sort_buffer_size                        = 512K
net_buffer_length                       = 8K
read_buffer_size                        = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size            = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size         = 8M
language                                        = /usr/share/mysql/english
#expire_logs_days               = 7

# security:
# using "localhost" in connects uses sockets by default
# skip-networking
bind-address                            = 192.168.1.55
port                                    = 3306

#log-bin
server-id                                       = 1

   My .mythtv/mysql.txt file has this:

DBHostName=192.168.1.55
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

That seems correct enough. I've deleted it and let Myth regenerate it
and it comes back the same.

   Any ideas what's wrong with talking to the server?

Thanks,
Mark