[mythtv-users] Please recommend hardware for caller id via MythTV

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Tue May 15 12:05:11 UTC 2007

Michael Rice wrote:
> On 5/14/07, Jim Shank <jim.shank at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is great stuff. Thanks. I setup MythNotify but I spend quite a bit of
>> time in xine and in the menu's. I was looking for an unconditional caller-id
>> program like this. Only one thing, how can you run it all on your mythtv box
>> instead of involving your Windows Box in the mess?

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a TuxScreen
(http://www.tuxscreen.net/).  I then wrote a caller id program that
connects to the tuxscreen, gets the callerid, looks up the number in our
house's ldap addressbook, and substitutes *our* name for the caller's
name.  Finally, it logs the call, and sends out a NCID request to any
connected clients.

Then, I wrote a quick perl NCID client for the myth frontend.

I need to clean up all the scripts a bit -- let me know if you want
them, and I'll provide them.

My only complaint is that the callerid is usually truncated . . . as are
a lot of the menus . . I need to play with font settings ;)

-Dave