[mythtv-users] Conversion from single backend to new master/slave backend?

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Mon May 14 20:29:18 UTC 2007

I've got a single backend.  But, I recently freed up a nice rack mount
server with ~300Gb.  I still want to keep the original backend -- since
it's cheaper to add disks to it (rackmount is scsi).

So -- what I'd like to do is several things:

1) Move the database to a *third* server -- one with raid 5.
2) Move the tuner card(s) and firewire over to the "new" rackmount server.
3) Make the "old" server a storage / transcoding backend.  I could
possibly leave at tuner here too.

So - -what's the best way to do this?  Copy the entire database first?
(With mysqlbackup?  what's the best way to do that)?

Then what?  I'm assuming the newer box with mondo CPU's would be better
used as a full backend -- but -- if it'd be best to split tuners around,
I could do that too (I have a HDHomeRun, PVR_500, and a firewire card).
I'm expecing to have the rack-mount server (Dual xeon) be the master,
and the old backend (P4 - 2.4Ghz) be a slave. . . possibly with a tuner.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

-Dave