[mythtv-users] The PNG Thumbnail generated by Default: Is it used for anything?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Mon May 14 17:58:30 UTC 2007

Robin Neatherway wrote:
>> It would be useful if one could get rid of them. In the UK, at least,
>> the contents of the thumbnails almost never have anything to do with the
>> program they are connected to. i.e. BBC, you get a random shot of the
>> end of the previous program, other channels, a random shot of some
>> advert or trailer.
>
> I can't agree with that. I'm in the UK and I just looked through about
> 20 recordings on MythWeb. Every single snapshot was of the program in
> question. Maybe you have much higher pre-roll than most? IIRC you can
> change the point into the program at which it takes the snapshop (180
> seconds by default, I think).

You can indeed. The setting is PreviewPixmapOffset if you want to edit
it via MythWeb(value is in seconds) but it's also exposed in the
settings somewhere as well.

I have a 5 minute pre-roll and tell MythTV to take snapshots 9 minutes
in. I have to admit the snapshotting doesn't always create a pleasing
result though(ie. one recording of Ideal has a snapshot of a semi-naked
Johnny Vegas), but that's hardly Myth's fault.

Matt