[mythtv-users] Aspect ratio problem due to fglrx ATI

Cnudde, Paul Paul.Cnudde at Gowlings.com
Mon May 14 17:26:22 UTC 2007

I myself was convinced that the radeon or ati driver should look just as good as fglrx driver, but I get banding, especially noticible with black and white films (TCM Rules).  Even the vesa driver looks better.  I'm sure I'm just missing something.  Could you do me a huge favour and post your xorg.conf somewhere. I've tried a number of tweaks but nothing seems to fix it, I'm hoping there might be something in yours that'll give me a clue.
Thanks
Sorry O.P. for usurping this thread

Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:

>I have a Radeon 9600 based card and I've seen the opposite: image
quality with fglrx is poor, but it's good with the radeon driver (ati is
a higher level driver that simply delegates to radeon for Radeon
hardware). I have an LCD TV connected to the card via DVI with a
painstakingly tweaked modeline for 1368x768.

>My only complaint for video playback is the frame/field timing isn't
quite perfect, so there is slight jerkiness sometimes, though I usually
don't notice it. The OpenGL acceleration seems to be working somewhat,
though there are glitches; I really haven't tried it much, since I don't
need it for MythTV.
IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify Gowlings immediately by
email at postmaster at gowlings.com.  Thank you.