[mythtv-users] MythTV as a DVD player

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:58:53 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had to change the default DVD player from mplayer to xine, to get
> > working DVD menus, but I believe that the default now is to use the
> > internal mythtv DVD player, which supports DVD menus ??
>
> You can now use Internal as the player.  It supports menus perfectly,
> uses the same OSD theme that you use during TV playback and all of the
> buttons are mapped the same as with TV functions.
>
> It also may be worth noting that most Linux distribution do not
> support commercial dvd playback.  If you don't live in the US, you can
> install some software to do just that.
>
> -Bill

As Bill said, you can use the internal player rather than launching
xine or mplayer from myth.  It seems to work great and has received
heavy development lately, including bugfixes.  I would say DVD
playback within myth is one of the top 3 actively developed features
in myth over the last year.  I rarely have issues with native DVD
playback in myth now and have also gotten rid of my standalone DVD
player.

Thanks!
Matt