[mythtv-users] ffmpeg quality for Flash Files

Asher freedenizen at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:30:34 UTC 2007

On 5/13/07, Trey Thompson <treythompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what I use to create my flash files for streaming to the Net...
> ffmpeg -y -i $directory/$file -r 20 -s 360x240 -deinterlace -ar 22050
> $directory/$file.flv
>
> They are pretty good quality, but I'm wondering what I could do to make it a
> "little" better.  It's kind of blocky, and motion is pretty bad.
>
> Any ideas on some changes I could try?

The SVN version of mythweb supports on the fly creation of flv files
for streaming and includes a nice GPL'd flashplayer.  The ffmpeg
command it uses is:
ffmpeg -y -i $filename -s 320x240 -r 24 -f flv -ar 11025 -ab 64k -b 256k

Seems pretty good to me, in the end it kinda depends on your upstream
bandwidth from your server, if you had a fat pipe you could adjust the
bitrate up and get better quality