[mythtv-users] MythTV as a DVD player

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:53:24 UTC 2007

My old DVD player died.  Instead of spending $50 to replace it with a
standalone unit, I'm thinking of spending $500 to $1000 to replace it
with a MythTV.  (Yes, I'm a certified, registered, geek.  So sue me.)

I would like to know of people's experience using MythTV as a DVD
player (in addition to using it's many other features).  I'm asking
because I have a friend with a MythTV box who tried playing DVD's
through it and was unhappy with the results.  Since he already has a
perfectly good (actually, a fairly nice) DVD player, he saw no reason
to pursue the matter any further than, "I tried it, I wasn't happy
with it, it didn't really matter to me."

In my case, I need to have a DVD player that my family can use the way
they're used to using a DVD player -- press a button on the remote to
watch DVDs, stick a DVD in, wait for all of the FBI warnings to go by,
(well, if we could skip that part, I'm sure we'd all agree it was a
plus), see the menu, hit play, and watch the DVD on our existing
(analog) television.  Yes I know MythTV offers much more than this,
but I need to have something that mimics the existing technology
before I start selling the new technology.

--wpd