[mythtv-users] single core @ 65nm or dual core @ 90 nm?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 13 15:09:59 UTC 2007

matt lutz wrote:

> I'm building a new HD frontend, and I'm trying to figure out which
> processor to buy.  I'm using a AM2 socket... The two choices seem to be
> between a dual-core 3800+ Windsor (90nm) at 2.0Ghz, or a single-core
> 3800+ Lima (65nm) at 2.4Ghz.  The 65nm will keep it a little cooler (and
> quieter).  Will it be enough to handle everything an HD frontend can
> throw at it?  It would seem that for a front-end only box, you wouldn't
> really need the dual-core.
>
> thanks for any advice you can give me.

My personal opinion (is there any other kind?) is that, while your F/E
might not really need two cores, at this time, the dual-core CPUs are
the "wave of the future". You never know what might happen in the down
the road.

I could write a book about things I have said I don't need, and then
wished I had obtained.

There is no "right answer", your concern for power consumption, noise
from PSUs and other factors makes it impossible for anyone but you to
make the decision.