[mythtv-users] Waking a sleeping system

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sun May 13 07:47:11 UTC 2007

Hello!

I've recently been playing with putting a system to sleep:
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

And the system goes to sleep.  Pressing the power button (I don't have
a keyboard or any input devices attached) wakes the system and it
returns to normal activity.  Totally sweet.

I'm curious though, is there a way to wake a system from sleeping
using WOL or possibly even a BIOS alarm?  I can shut my system down
after a period of inactivity through MythTV and using the ACPI
functionality I can have it wake X amount of time before my next
scheduled recording.  Great!  But I would like to see if I could sleep
the system instead of shutting it down?  This means I can't use the
BIOS alarm to wake the system as the BIOS is not used when resuming
from a sleep state.  But I do have another always on system that could
wake the system using WOL but I can't seem to get WOL to wake a
'sleeping' system; only a fully shutdown system.  My network card
supports wake on 'pumbg' so it definitely supports the physical
activity bit as well as WOL; which I would assume means it would also
support WOL from sleeping.

Any hints?  Anyone else tried this, and had success?

Thanks!

-Chad