[mythtv-users] Was: 5C - DOH! Now: Set Top Box Passthrough/Converter Solution Device

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:49:17 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, my posting about the PYRO AV device really did stimulate discussion.
> I'm glad to see that.
>
> Several people have contacted me off-list in order to offer help and
> options in creating the device to translate DVI/HDMI/Component video into a
> usable ieee1394/mpeg2 signal. I have also opened discussions with a couple
> of hardware vendors.
>
> In particular I intend to focus on the creation of an external box that
> will translate several HD formats. Specifically we are looking to create a
> device that can accept DVI, HDMI, and Component video formats and output
> them in VGA, Composite and ieee1394(via mpeg2). Only the ieee1394 output
> would be HD (as of now). This combination seems to represent the best, most
> marketable product. Obviously the market just to solve the MythTV STB
> problem is too small to persuade any vendor. So a device that translates
> into multiple outputs would appeal to the broadest range of consumers.

You call DVI, HDMI, and component video "formats" but they are really just
transport mediums.  In no particular order, they can carry mpeg-2 and analog
signals in various resolutions and frame rates.  What you're really talking
about is a card that can decode mpeg-2 into analog and digitize and encode
analog into mpeg-2, receive mpeg-2 and analog over a number of different
connectors and output mpeg-2 and analog over a number of different
connectors.

I won't comment on the feasibility of this except to say that that's a lot
of connectors to put on a single card.  Why do you even need the outputs at
all?  Let the graphics card deal with that.

-Jerry