[mythtv-users] Intel 965GM or 512MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M for Front End? (David Kramer)

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 17:49:01 UTC 2007

wrote:
> > I orderd a Thinkpad T60p, but they just changed
the ship date another
> > *MONTH* out.I am *NOT* putting up with that.  I'm
currently comparing
> > the Dell Latitude D820 and the brand spankin new
D830, with the new
> > Santa Rosa chipset.  The D620 has the NVidia
Quadro, and the D630 has
> > the Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator
X3100

> > This laptop will be a front end, but it's also a
desktop replacement
> > do all my work (software development/emai/web/etc)
on.  I do NOT play
> > games in general.
> >
> > Supposedly the Intel is the better graphics card,
but I keep seeing
"buy
> > Nvidia!!!" here to get better performance and
extra features under
> > Linux.  You can see a comparison of the laptops
here:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/latit?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

> > What exactly does sticking with NVidia get you?

> Access to the binary driver, which is decent.  The
Intel driver has
> improved enormously of late however, but I'm not
sure the X3100 is
> supported yet.  Things improved dramatically on the
Intel front after
> one of the key Xorg developers, Keith Packard,
started working there.

> According to this post 1920x1080 support might be a
bit strange.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-February/022004.html

> > Is it worth getting a supposedly lower card to get
the Nvidia
chipset?

> I would say go Nvidia at this point, unless you like
mucking around a
> lot of xorg git repositories.  Good Luck.

> Yan

David,

I agree with Yan.  I've tried Via Unichorome Pro,
Nvidia, Intel, and a couple of ATI grapics adapters.
The Nvidia drivers are the only drivers I've found to
work satisfactorily for HDTV playback, except I
recently built the Intel drivers from git repositories
and found the results to be satisfoctory on my G915.
Unfortunately, due to video tearing, my X3000/G965 did
not product satisfactory playback.

Doug confimed the tearing problems a few days ago on
the list. I may update my post with an additional tip
for building the drivers.  The latest Intel drivers
still lack XvMC support, but a 3.2+ GHz P4 should be
okay for HD.  If you're up for building the drivers,
You'll probably need to install Xserver 1.3 and
perhaps a few other things.  I'd be very interested in
your results and I think, if you look carefully at the
screen during fast panning or subject movement, you'll
observe that the video buffer refresh is syncrhonized
in the wrong place the video will visibly tear across
the screen.