[mythtv-users] Intel 965GM or 512MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M for Front End?

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Thu May 10 06:15:07 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
> I orderd a Thinkpad T60p, but they just changed the ship date another
> *MONTH* out.I am *NOT* putting up with that.  I'm currently comparing
> the Dell Latitude D820 and the brand spankin new D830, with the new
> Santa Rosa chipset.  The D620 has the NVidia Quadro, and the D630 has
> the Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
>
> This laptop will be a front end, but it's also a desktop replacement I
> do all my work (software development/emai/web/etc) on.  I do NOT play
> games in general.
>
> Supposedly the Intel is the better graphics card, but I keep seeing "buy
> Nvidia!!!" here to get better performance and extra features under
> Linux.  You can see a comparison of the laptops here:
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/latit?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz
>
> What exactly does sticking with NVidia get you?

Access to the binary driver, which is decent.  The Intel driver has
improved enormously of late however, but I'm not sure the X3100 is
supported yet.  Things improved dramatically on the Intel front after
one of the key Xorg developers, Keith Packard, started working there.

According to this post 1920x1080 support might be a bit strange.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-February/022004.html

> Is it worth getting a supposedly lower card to get the Nvidia chipset?

I would say go Nvidia at this point, unless you like mucking around a
lot of xorg git repositories.  Good Luck.

Yan