[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption - DOH!

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed May 9 17:06:59 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 10:41 -0400, Joe Borne wrote:
>
> > I have found a solution to the problem of 5C encrypted channels.
>
> > This device here -> PYRO A /V
>
> > Can convert Component Video (The Y Pb Pr) stuff straight to DV
> > (firewire/ieee1394). It can also pass through the audio (in stereo at
> > least).
>
> Sorry.  The specifications show that it only does standard definition,
> so it's no better than a PVR-150.
>
>  You're right, I just noticed that too. Darn it. On the right track though.

It actually *might* be better than a PVR-150.  It comes down to how
well it converts the analog video/audio to digital.  Since it is an
external device, it would not have to fight off electrical
interference, like the PVR-150 does.  No tuner, so it is only doing
one job.  Component inputs should be much higher quality than s-video,
so it should have a cleaner source, which should result in a cleaner
result.

So, it is not going to be HD, but it still might be much better than
using a PVR-150 to capture s-video.

Does Myth know how to play video in "DV Video" format?

John