[mythtv-users] Scheduled recordings dropping first digit of channel number

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 9 13:52:10 UTC 2007

On 05/09/2007 09:06 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> At 5:45 PM -0400 5/8/07, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> When LIRC is generating
>>> the carrier signal for a simple IR LED emitter, it can get
>>> interrupted by other things that happen on the system. The result
>>> is that tuning will sometimes fail. Dish's receivers are especially
>>> susceptible to this problem because they use a higher-than-average
>>> carrier frequency.
>>>
>> Yep.  And, I would bet that's exactly what's happening to the OP's
>> signal (and what happened to mine).
>>
> I tend to think that's not the reason for the OP's problem. I
> experienced random failures on one or more digits in the sequence,
> but it wasn't always the first digit like he's seeing.

Same for me, but before mod'ing my channel change script to log
everything, it looked (at "first glance") like it was a first-digit
issue to me.  Also, with the DISH "go to the next channel above the
requested channel if the requested channel isn't valid" approach, it can
be a challenge to identify which digits are missing (especially when you
have a large number of channels).  And, since I used the low-digit local
numbers, often my channel numbers were only 1 digit--with the rest being
2 digits.

Granted, I could have asked the OP to do more testing, but I thought it
would be easier to get more DISH users to respond with their
experiences.  However, that doesn't seem to be happening (other than
you, of course, Dan), so, Gary, you might want to do more experimenting
to verify whether it is always the first digit or not.  If not, it's
almost definitely a timing issue (and the easiest fix is a new
transmitter with its own timing circuitry).  If so, it could still be
the same, but this time caused by

A simple way to test the first-digit thing is to send a cancel first
(like Robin's approach, but safer), then send the digits.

I've also attached the change_channel script that I was using if you
want to get a log of usage.  It should be accessed with "change_channel
<remote name> <channel number>", so with the lircd.conf on the wiki, you
would set your "External channel change command" to "change_channel
dish1" (with path if the script isn't in your PATH and with the
appropriate remote name for the remote codes you're using).

Mike