[mythtv-users] permisions for /directory

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed May 9 13:01:04 UTC 2007

Damian Surr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I set up a fresh Ubuntu install a couple of weeks ago ready for Myth and
> finally got the time to install myth last night. All went well apart
> from myth not having write access to the directory I've given to it.
>
> When I set up the partitions, I created a separate partition called
> 'stuff' which Ubuntu mounts quite happily. I'll be putting all my media
> and downloads in here.
> The mythtv section will be:
>
> /stuff/media/mythtv
> and in the backend setup, I set the recordings location to be
> /stuff/media/mythtv/recordings
>
> when I finished the setup, I was told that myth couldn't access that
> location.
>
> I searched the net and found
> sudo chmod -R username /directory
>
> and ran
> sudo chmod -R myname /stuff
>
> which gave me the ability to create directorys in /stuff, so I created
> the 'media', 'mythtv' and 'recordings' directorys.
>
> Myth still couldn't access them, so I tried:
> sudo chmod -R mythtv /stuff
> but is still didn't work. tried:
> sudo chmod -R myname /stuff/media/mythtv
> but still didn't progress. What am I doing wrong?

The commands above do nothing for you. Two ways around this, either make
the direcotories writable to everyone by:

chmod -R 777 /stuff/media

or change the owner of the directories to mythtv by:

chown -R mythtv:mythtv /stuff/media

The first is a bit of a security risk but for the average home user
behind a router/firewall its safe enough. The second may give you
troubles if you want to write to the files with a different user.
Personally I would use the first option.