[mythtv-users] upnp pictures of screens

Craig G. craig at goranson.org
Wed May 9 04:11:19 UTC 2007

I have the DSM-520 and it feels like an orphaned D-Link product.   Which is
not surprising as the internals are not made by D-Link themselves.    In a
rough sense the DSM-520 works "ok" with mythtv, but it is VERY sensitive to
encoding.  By sensitive I mean if you try to playback a MPEG-TS stream it
tends to lock up if any of the frames are missing or corrupted.   This means
if I run the content I record through mythtranscode to clean it up, then it
plays ok with the DSM-520.   Have better luck with MPEG-PS files.   Right
now if I record something from my HDHomerun have to transcode it to cleanup
the MPEG stream before I can try to display it on my DSM-520, which is very
inconvenient.   (streams play fine in mythtv, mplayer or even windows.  They
just cause the DSM-520 to lock up hard.   The fact that there hasn't been a
firmware update in over 8 months, and their have been no moves/attempts by
D-Link to fix many of the bugs and deficiencies in the devices firmware.  I
wouldn't recommend it.   If looking for a UPNP thin player, would
recommended researching which was have the best support from the
manufacturer and the most frequent updates.   As the support from D-link has
been almost non-existent for their devices.

Craig