[mythtv-users] Wrong rate

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 8 14:28:25 UTC 2007

On 05/08/2007 09:37 AM, Adam Egger wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/07/2007 05:21 AM, Adam Egger wrote:
>>
>>> I added some externally recorded files to myth with myth.rebuilddb but
>>> only some of the files work fine.
>>> Some video files cause segmentation faults. Some vidoes do not play
>>> the audio track and the log shows that the rate doesn't fit (requested
>>> 44100 got 48000 (or vice versa)). Can this be fixed in myth because
>>> mplayer plays all the files correctly?
>>>
>> Fix it in ALSA with an .asoundrc.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly
> Thanks Mike but there was an even easier solution. I talked to the
> guys on IRC and they told me I just should use plug:default instead of
> default (thanks goes especially to wishie in #alsa!), just because
> plug: automatically sets the correct rate and format.
>
> Now I use ALSA:plug:default|plug:surround51 as the audio devices in my
> frontends settings and everything's much better than before. No
> problems anymore with externally added files.

That's the exact same solution.  The only difference is rather than
specifying the ALSA configuration in the, er, ALSA configuration file,
you're embedding it directly in /one/ application's configuration.
Therefore, you need to remember that configuration for every application
for which you want to use that same configuration.  The ALSA
configuration file simply allows you to assign a human-readable,
descriptive, and memorable name to that configuration, or--even
better--to specify which configuration should be used when the
application doesn't request a specific configuration (i.e. set the default).

You /never/ need an ALSA configuration file.  Those who understand ALSA
configuration files, though, find they make life easier.  As a matter of
fact, few configuration files are ever required for any application.
It's just a matter of whether you want to do things the easy way.

(This is not aimed at you, specifically, but at all the people who don't
understand ALSA configuration files and keep putting things like, "This
is not required on Fedora Core 5 and 6 systems," or "If you are using a
version of ALSA newer than 1.0.12 -- <theoretically authoritative URL>
states that for most uses an .asoundrc is not necessary," etc. all over
the wiki pages.)

Mike