[mythtv-users] Can RS 15-2116 remote emulate MCE remote?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue May 8 07:23:59 UTC 2007


On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 08:36 -0700, Joe Votour wrote:
> From what I can tell (though I may be wrong), the MCE receiver will only
> receive the codes it's expecting from the remote that is bundled with it. 
> I believe that this is some RC-6 protocol.

Well, given that I'm currently using my MCE USB receiver with a Radio
Shack remote... ;) Granted mine's the 2146 model, but YMMV...

I can, however, tell you that when my 2146 is in "Tivo" mode, pressing a
button still lights up the MCE receiver, so I think there's hope for
Mike...

> Your (Mike's) best bet would be to get a JP1 cable and load the MCE
> upgrade to the remote.  You can use the tools to create your own custom
> keymap, using the MCE codes.  Using JP1, you can make a complete backup of
> the remote control that can be restored if something goes wrong (or, if
> you get another 15-2116, it provides an easy way to clone them).

I just took a look at Radio Shack's site - the 2146 has a code for both
MS and Hauppauge.  The 2116 doesn't look like it knows those codes...

(manual for the 2146)
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/1502146_PM_EN.pdf

(I used the info on page 36, with either Hauppauge or Microsoft - don't
remember which...)

> Unfortunately, trying to "learn" remotes into a learning remote is a
> painful process that often results in running out of memory on the
> learning remote.  JP1 will help you out with that too. :)  (The software
> is intelligent enough to recognize the protocol and help you build an
> upgrade that consumes far less memory.)

That's why I did it the other way around - I taught lirc the buttons...
in fact... now that I remember it, I don't believe that I used a MS code
- I might have taught lirc all of the buttons with the receiver... I
might have told the remote to emulate a VCR first to get it into RC-6
mode (a la Jarod's guide...)

	-I
-- 
                       _______________________________________
                       Ian Forde
                       RHCE (7,EL4), CCSE, SCNA, SCDME



More information about the mythtv-users mailing list