[mythtv-users] MythWeather on crack and Invisible Menu Navigation

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:25:31 UTC 2007

On 5/5/07, Reza Naima <reza at reza.net> wrote:
> I've setup a new box to run mythfrontend, and I've got two problems.
>
> MythWeather has worked without fault for the longest time -- now it
> seems to be on crack.  Every time I start mythfrontend and then go to
> mythweather, it'll have the teme up but junk will be in place of the
> data.  It seems to be bits of code that end up there, like "Object()"
> will show up all over or something like that.  Has tha that happened to
> anyone?

Yes, I'm running atrpms-bleeding (follows SVN trunk) and I saw this yesterday.

> Also, I'm running it on a beefy machine, but the menu navigation seems
> wacked.  Some menu transitions seem very very slow, and soemtimes when
> you go back a menu, you are presented with a blank screen and you have
> to hit the up or down button to redraw.  Has anyone experienced this?

Yes and I have not figured out why this happens on my box.  I recently
upgraded from 512MB to 1.5GB and it still happens using the
Mythcenter-Wide theme and OpenGL painter with the latest Nvidia stuff
from atrpms.  I've not gone back to Qt to see if it's fixed.

> Finally, this is very odd, but my dmesg on the box will show that I've
> got a 2G dual core with 8000+ bogomips, but cat /proc/cpuinfo shows two
> 1000.0G cores with about 4000+ bogomips.  What gives?

This is cpufreq keeping your cores running slower until you need them.
 It's a power-saving (and heat-saving) technique which watches how
busy your cores are and only ramps up the MHz when you need it.  Run
"watch -d -n1 cat /proc/cpuinfo" and then start something
CPU-intensive.  You'll see the cpu MHz ramp up.

/Brian/